walking to breakfast
january 2, 2015
impossible project color film for 600 gold frame
prairie dawn & oscar met in AA. she’s going to give this grouch thing a try.
most depressing pork chop dinner ever: a grown-ass man & a big bird pining for their lost loves.
hey! it’s smerlock herlock… i mean sherwin helmsley… sherwood horsecock? aw fuck. whatever. didn’t you get thrown out of town?
susan finally told roosevelt franklin that his father is *not* sexy soul singer al green. then who the hell is it?!
- i spent new year’s eve in toronto with a friend. we ordered thai and watched a star trek movie marathon, then had champagne at midnight. on new year’s day we had mimosas and a ton of cheese, and made perfect chocolate chip cookies. definitely different from last year’s new year’s eve of drinking, fireworks, dancing, and getting lost at 4:30am in berlin. but it was still very awesome, despite the slower pace. i’m still working on losing my holiday weight…
- i’m going to vietnam and china with my graduate program for the last 2 weeks of january. frankly, it’s going to be an exhausting trip, and jet lag is going to kick my ass, but i’m slowly getting excited. as i write this, the temperature in ho chi minh city is 81° F, in shanghai it’s 43° F, and in beijing it’s 34° F, which makes packing a challenge.
- i booked a somewhat-annual end-of-february trip to san francisco, and a few days later my work proposal to go to north carolina for some staff meetings was accepted. the last week of february worked best for the team, so i’ll be taking these trips back-to-back, which is a little stressful… but i’m very fortunate to have the travel opportunities i have, and i will power through. the dog will get over my absences.
- before the holidays, i got a request for a polaroid box. so i dug out the boards i cut back in spring 2010, and started assembling. all the boxes (now cubes, actually) are made, and i’ve managed to cover a few. (if you were interested in one way back in 2010, leave a comment or email me.)
- i started knitting a super blanket. i’m in my first color… more to come…
- i found my half-finished skirt and sweater from 2008, and i decided i am no longer interested in finishing them. so i frogged both, and i’m considering making another blanket, because it’s the only thing i know how to make.
- i’m still really, really disappointed with the progress of impossible project’s film, and i haven’t been taking many photos with my polaroid cameras. i miss it, but i’m not spending $4 for each shitty photo. it’s really fun to see many of my friends on instagram using the fuji instax mini — fuji film is so much better. i need to start using mine more.
- i’m in my last semester of graduate school, and i am so fucking tired of homework. i’ve learned a ton, and so much of what i’ve learned is directly applicable to my job. but man, i don’t give a fuck about homework.
- i’m still having fun creating #sesamestory, and i hope that i’ll have some book news later this year.
- my obsession with vintage fisher price little people has gotten a little out of hand. more on that later…
- my book-buying habit got out of control in 2014. i think it’s because i couldn’t find time to read for leisure, giving me reason to hoard as many books as possible. reading all the books is another story…
- i have read a ton of business books for both work and school, and most of them have the word “innovation” in the title. and yet, i have 2 stacks waiting for me. i have a (really great) manager that loves books as much as i do, and every time he recommends a book i add it to my wish list, and eventually they end up in my monthly order.
- i did manage to read a few books for fun, and i highly recommend submergence, the art of sleeping alone, the soul of all living creatures, and grayson. i tried to read gone girl, and found it blah and i wasn’t interested in finishing it. so take my recommendations with a grain of salt, as i clearly have different tastes than many.
- i just bought a kindle, thinking that it might be cheaper to buy all the business books on that. but i’m not convinced that i’ll use it very much…
niece & nephew:
- i’ve been hanging out with these two as much as i can. i love it.
lastly, a friend sent me this link a couple of days ago: the subtle art of not giving a fuck. i’ve noticed that in the last year i’ve finally stopped giving a fuck. and it’s so fucking liberating! happy new year!
ooopsie! prairie dawn had a little too much to drink at happy hour.
big bird has been sending snuffy letters. but he doesn’t actually know where snuffy is, so they end up in the dead letter office.
mrs hooper is still sleeping on that fucking couch. she just read “the art of sleeping alone” and is considering moving to paris.
popping in to wish everyone happy holidays!
i was somehow able to find time to make holiday cards this year, and as always, the triangle tree was my inspiration (past triangle tree holiday cards: 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2008). this year i decided to use up materials in the studio instead of buying new paper. the offwhite is a folded card cut at an angle so it still opens, and the green triangles are glued to the front. and yes, i have a thing for chartreuse green.
see you all in the new year!
oh dear god, who the fuck is this mouth breather?
the date was going well until they both had too much to drink: he got uncomfortably hot & heavy with his goodbye & left her with the tab. but the deal breaker was his overuse of cologne: drakkar noir (obvs).
i was once a graphic designer, and i still love a little design project now and then. so when i decided i needed a different etsy shop to sell my art history houses, i wanted to create an identity for the shop that was different from painted fish studio. like i mentioned when i announced the new shop: i cannot remember why i decided to use my birth date as the name, and i also cannot remember why i decided to use an old-school date stamp… too many months have passed since i created the logo. but i do remember that it was not as easy as stamping a piece of paper and i was done. oh nooooo… i stamped a piece of paper about 30 times trying to get it perfect, and in the end i ended up layering a few scans on top of each other in photoshop to get the look i wanted. it took hours of futzing. but i’m very happy with it!
i wanted to keep all the pieces of the identity simple: the mini moo cards have minimal design. i looked at every single invoice book offered in office supply stores, trying to find one that was simple and old school. and the goods in my 041374 etsy shop will be packaged in glassine bags, with the logo stamped on. lastly, i had some postcards made of a collage i created last summer, and each order will include a postcard for free. it’s too bad that i find designing fun only when i’m the client! i miss doing it.
oscar is on a bender.
this friday is the willow house fourth annual holiday craft fair, and kristin has invited me to participate! i’ll have a table set up with my books and cards. there will also be children’s apparel, bags, pillows, ornaments, pottery, jewelry, toys, cowls, and more! swing by and say hi, and get a little more xmas shopping done! there will be wine and cookies, too…
friday, december 5
3:00 – 8:00pm
willow house preschool
5617 24th avenue south
minneapolis, mn 55417
susan’s doing another sunday morning walk of shame. oh susan. get it together, girl.
i opened a new etsy shop! i needed a place to offer the extra houses i made for jackie’s tiny house swap. they didn’t fit into my painted fish studio shop — they are too collage-y. my painted fish studio shop feels more design-y than collage-y. so, i opened 041374.
i created the shop in june… these days with school, it’s hard to finish what i start. i honestly can’t remember how i decided to name the shop after my birth date, but i think it works. i’m really happy with the logo/identity for the shop: i’ll try to post about it soon. in the meantime, have a look!
if your trunk looked like a penis, you’d disappear, too.
i just can’t win: there’s always something wrong with my knitted projects. this time, it’s realizing i had been using the wrong pattern, as i started the last color stripe. this was supposed to be a baby blanket for my new nephew, but it’s more like a rug.
and how did i manage to mess this project up? i’m blaming purl for this one. i bought the kit, and the insert that came in the kit directed me to the super easy crib blanket in worsted twist page, so i did the pattern on that page. what i didn’t realize was i actually bought the super soft merino yarn kit, which meant i should have followed a link buried in a paragraph of text halfway down the page, to get to the pattern for the super easy crib blanket in super soft merino. goddammit, purl.
there was no way i was going to frog the whole damn thing and start over. sorry baby carl, you got a rug, instead of a blanket. you probably won’t be a big fan of pink, so i guess it’s ok (the pink was peach in the photo in the purl store. grrrrrrr).
i really should quit this knitting thing. but it’s the only time i watch tee-vee shows, and i’m still itching to work on a super blanket.