- i spent new year’s eve in toronto with a friend. we ordered thai and watched a star trek movie marathon, then had champagne at midnight. on new year’s day we had mimosas and a ton of cheese, and made perfect chocolate chip cookies. definitely different from last year’s new year’s eve of drinking, fireworks, dancing, and getting lost at 4:30am in berlin. but it was still very awesome, despite the slower pace. i’m still working on losing my holiday weight…
- i’m going to vietnam and china with my graduate program for the last 2 weeks of january. frankly, it’s going to be an exhausting trip, and jet lag is going to kick my ass, but i’m slowly getting excited. as i write this, the temperature in ho chi minh city is 81° F, in shanghai it’s 43° F, and in beijing it’s 34° F, which makes packing a challenge.
- i booked a somewhat-annual end-of-february trip to san francisco, and a few days later my work proposal to go to north carolina for some staff meetings was accepted. the last week of february worked best for the team, so i’ll be taking these trips back-to-back, which is a little stressful… but i’m very fortunate to have the travel opportunities i have, and i will power through. the dog will get over my absences.
- before the holidays, i got a request for a polaroid box. so i dug out the boards i cut back in spring 2010, and started assembling. all the boxes (now cubes, actually) are made, and i’ve managed to cover a few. (if you were interested in one way back in 2010, leave a comment or email me.)
- i started knitting a super blanket. i’m in my first color… more to come…
- i found my half-finished skirt and sweater from 2008, and i decided i am no longer interested in finishing them. so i frogged both, and i’m considering making another blanket, because it’s the only thing i know how to make.
- i’m still really, really disappointed with the progress of impossible project’s film, and i haven’t been taking many photos with my polaroid cameras. i miss it, but i’m not spending $4 for each shitty photo. it’s really fun to see many of my friends on instagram using the fuji instax mini — fuji film is so much better. i need to start using mine more.
- i’m in my last semester of graduate school, and i am so fucking tired of homework. i’ve learned a ton, and so much of what i’ve learned is directly applicable to my job. but man, i don’t give a fuck about homework.
- i’m still having fun creating #sesamestory, and i hope that i’ll have some book news later this year.
- my obsession with vintage fisher price little people has gotten a little out of hand. more on that later…
- my book-buying habit got out of control in 2014. i think it’s because i couldn’t find time to read for leisure, giving me reason to hoard as many books as possible. reading all the books is another story…
- i have read a ton of business books for both work and school, and most of them have the word “innovation” in the title. and yet, i have 2 stacks waiting for me. i have a (really great) manager that loves books as much as i do, and every time he recommends a book i add it to my wish list, and eventually they end up in my monthly order.
- i did manage to read a few books for fun, and i highly recommend submergence, the art of sleeping alone, the soul of all living creatures, and grayson. i tried to read gone girl, and found it blah and i wasn’t interested in finishing it. so take my recommendations with a grain of salt, as i clearly have different tastes than many.
- i just bought a kindle, thinking that it might be cheaper to buy all the business books on that. but i’m not convinced that i’ll use it very much…
niece & nephew:
- i’ve been hanging out with these two as much as i can. i love it.
lastly, a friend sent me this link a couple of days ago: the subtle art of not giving a fuck. i’ve noticed that in the last year i’ve finally stopped giving a fuck. and it’s so fucking liberating! happy new year!