- buy a chunk of land in the middle of nowhere & put a weehouse on it
- buy a hobby farm and live off the land, with chickens and maybe start a CSA
- buy a hobby farm and have a ceramics studio in an outbuilding and live off my pottery
- get an MFA at college of visual arts (now closed)
- move to new york
- buy a retail space in minneapolis and open a shop
- move to denver
- stay in minnesota but rent an apartment in san francisco for the awful winter months
- move to amsterdam & fall in love
obviously, none of these things have happened. but i need to do something. i need to reinvent. i thought by now i’d be moving to a new city, but i haven’t been able to decide where i want to live, and i’d really like to stick around here to for a little while longer to spend time with my niece.
so i’ve made a pretty big decision and it’s not something i thought i’d ever do:
i’m going to get a masters degree in IT management.
yeah, super sexy.
do i really want to go back to school? no. i’m terrified of homework and tests. i’m not academic. but i was promoted to a manager position at the beginning of the year and while i’ve done ok so far by flying by the seat of my pants, i’d like to know what i’m doing (especially now that i lead a team that will grow to 10 people by september). i want to succeed. and getting a masters could open new doors for my career that wouldn’t otherwise be available to me. also, i don’t want to be single forever (fuck you universe), but in the event that i am, a masters degree will help me keep a roof over my head (and fund my wanderlust) for the next however many years i have left.
i fully expect that i will not have much of a life for the next 2 years, and i have no idea how this is going to affect my creativity or this space or my ability to travel. i know i won’t stop taking instant photos, but i may not have time for making stuff. we’ll see what happens!
my first day of class is today. i’ll be done in 21 months. i really hope i make it, without loosing “me” along the way.